Above: The 2012 Mayan Apocalypse A-Go-Go Calender
I hope everyone made it safely out of 2011.
That was one heck of a year; Tsunami in Japan, a Rapture that wasn’t, bad government corrupted by 1% Banks too big to fail, Asteroid near misses and an apocalyptic comet that disintegrated into nothing but dust, Occupy Wall Street, Occupy Oakland, Occupy Davis, Tear Gas, Police Brutality, and to complete the dystopian slide – Obama signs the NDAA on Dec 31, 2011…
I started reading a few “conspiracy theory” kinda websites this last year. Just the thing to do when you’re in a blistering depression – read about a world as fuzzy, strange, disoriented, and bleak as the depression. I don’t know if this is really a good reading plan, but that’s how I spent some of my evenings during the late summer and the fall.
Seemed like a new “end of the world” was just around the corner, sometime in the middle of next week… and it never came. The end never came.
But this is the year for the big one, right? The 2012 Mayan Apocalypse A-Go-Go or something like that.
You might have noticed that my calender graphic at the top of this page only goes through December 21st – aren’t we going to have fun with that one this year?!?
Goodby 2011, Hello 1984
To remember this day in which President Obama signed into the NDAA into law I want to use the following quotes from my friend Sé Reed from Facebook today (used with permission) about the NDAA signing:
“Moreover, I want to clarify that my Administration will not authorize the indefinite military detention without trial of American citizens. Indeed, I believe that doing so would break with our most important traditions and values as a Nation.”
– Obama’s ndaa 2011 signing statement
oh yay! but now I’D like to clarify that he specifically said HIS administration will not authorize the indefinite military detention without trial of American citizens. i mean, the law says he can authorize that very thing, of course, but he will refrain from doing so. ISN’T THAT JUST PRECIOUS??
- Dana: So looking forward to November
- Julie: what is NDAA?
- Apryl: ?:(
- Sé Reed: ?Dana why? what good will november do??
- Sé Reed: ?Julie DEFINITELY READ THIS.
NDAA Set To Become Law: The Terror Is Nearer Than Ever
It’s all over. NDAA is here.
- Owen:And here comes war with Iran.
- Sé Reed: ?Owen yeah that’s so happening. 🙁 it’s so beyond horrible. this one’s not gonna leave us unscathed. Iran is not a third world country, despite our best efforts to make it so.
- Sé Reed: and not that signing it on new year’s eve was sneaky or anything. everyone’s totally paying attention to politics today, right? no one has anything else going on.
- Owen: But my comment wasn’t about this strait of Hormuz bullshit, it was a reference to the provision in this same act to crash Iran’s central bank. Imagine if China’s plan was to crash the federal reserve. How would we react?
- Sé Reed: Oh. Right. That. i can only get worked up about one issue per civil-liberty-dissolving, world-war-invoking, totalitarian-military-police-state-starting bill at a time.
- Sé Reed: but yeah. the part about us destroying Iran is pretty fucking shitty. suddenly i feel like swearing a lot. happy fucking new year.
- Jon Christopher: rant on!
- Dana: ?Sé, good point…wonder how poetry slams will go over in FEMA camps?
- Sé Reed: that’s an awesome thing to wonder, even though it’s awful it would need to be wondered.
- Jon Christopher: Sé – I’m feeling the need to put a post together marking this disastrous occasion – can I quote you in my post?
- Sé Reed: please do, by name and welcome.
What does this new law mean? I’m not sure, but we’ll be looking at it closer in the days ahead… We do know it’s a landmark moment in our nations history.
Welcome to 2012 – we have quite a journey ahead…