Happy 420! To celebrate I’d like to give you a wall of weed!
Above: Online promo graphic for The Wall of Weed… feel free to copy and share.
About The Wall of Weed
This art piece contains 1960 photos from over 650 different batches of medical marijuana. There are close to 350 different strains represented on the wall.
These photos were taken between 2008 and 2012 in Long Beach, California.
Note: the page can take up to a minute to load – lots and lots of photos to load…
Here’s a short bit I wrote awhile ago about how I got started taking photos:
In June of 2008 I started taking photos and posting menus on WeedTracker.com for a local, Long Beach collective called CCLB, Canna Collective Long Beach.
The whole thing started as a fluke – I just wanted CCLB to keep up with their menu posting because gas prices were soaring and online people wanted to know what was available before they made the long drive – sometimes coming all the way from San Diego – a nearly 300 mile round trip.
My round trip to CCLB was only 10 miles, so during June I started my volunteer gig as the Menu Guy for CCLB. Over the July 4th weekend, through a series of events I’ve written about elsewhere, I officially became an unpaid, community volunteer at CCLB and through October of that year I photographed nearly 80 different strains, some of them several times…
Goals and Format
I had several goals in mind while taking these photos:
- Capture the most average, “representative” buds to photograph. I was not looking for the biggest and best buds to photograph, just the buds that an average patient would get if they went to the collective.
- Use a repeatable format so people could focus on the herb, not the photographs.
The format I settled on after about a year was 3 photos per batch.
- The first shot was of four (more or less) buds grouped around a quarter to give the idea of size. I weighed each of these buds to add to the image when I processed the photos.
- The second photo would be the single bud shot.
- The third shot was the close up, and by 2010 I had finally started to achieve some great shots with the close-up.
- For awhile I took a forth shot – a jar shot from above.
I usually took about 60-80 photos of each batch to make sure I had what I needed to pick the best shot.
These photos were used as “menu photos” for the websites of the various non-profit collectives I volunteered at during this time.
Fun Fact: Each photo in this collection is 420 pixels by 420 pixels – except 1. Can you find the one odd-sized photo?
Dedication and Thanks
The Wall of Weed is dedicated to my friend Josh Howard who got me started on this photo project in June of 2008 when he was the budtender extraordinaire at CCLB. Thanks Josh!
A special thanks goes out to those who helped facilitate this project over the last few years – Eli, Nichole, Sam, Val and Harvey.
P.S. I know the question you have in your mind, and the answer is yes – I did sample more than 90% of the batches shown here… Happy 420!